
Welcome to day 2 of Holiday Homeschool Open House! Don't forget to visit
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Tiany if you want to take part or want to see what others are doing!
Today, we created our gingerbread houses. This is something the kids and I do each year, sometimes from a kit and sometimes from scratch. This year, we found a really good kit and decided to also make tiny homes out of graham crackers. Now, this particular kit did not come with a lot of candy for 3 children to be able to decorate it without a major fight occuring. So yesterday, we ventured out in the ice and snow to our local Bulk Barn store, and bought more candy. I was supposed to spend $20.00...it came to $48.00 YOWSA!! Well, we have enough candy now! Come with me and see our little gingerbread factory..
So, here's the three amigos starting to add the shingles to the house. We used shreddies, and then Devin added those dreaded dragees to the top also. I hate those things, the only thing they are good for is breaking great chunks off your teeth! In the background, if it isn't too bright, you can see my dh's Christmas village. Oh yes, I built this particular gingerbread house yesterday so it would have time to set up.
Well, what good is building a gingerbread house if you can't have a taste? Take it easy on the candy, it cost $48.00!! Oh if my dentist could see this now, cha ching!!
Here is the finished big house. Gosh I make it sound like a prison! The snowman has a really odd head. The path is made of chocolate pebbles, and the fireplace we made on the back is also made of the chocolate pebbles! And I never want to see another Smartie again!
So, with that big house done, I thought it would be fun to make some small houses out of graham crackers. Jeremy lucked out with the full sheets of graham crackers, he had 4 crackers attached still. Robyn had to be a bit more creative. And Devin? Well, he and I built this lovely little box which looks just like an English cottage.
Here we have Jeremy's finished house, I think it turned out really well! Oh more Smarties!!! UGH!!
Here is Robyn with her house/stable/use your imagination! Please ignore the mess in the background! I am still organizing things for Christmas!
Well, now that dh has come home from work, the decimation fo the gingerbread houses has begun! I just hope he doesn't break something on one of the dragees!
Love the gingerbread houses!!! They're adorable!!! :-)
ReplyDeleteGood job guys! They look wonderful!
ReplyDelete~ SS
P.S. There is a little something on its way to you!
I love the houses. I am thinking about trying one of those kits with the kids. I figure if we put healthy things on it we can put it out for the chipmunk family that lives near our house. It would be fun to watch them eat it.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
4sweetums
www.homeschoolblogger.com/my4sweetums
Wonderful job on the houses! They look so yummy!
ReplyDelete-Heather