Background

Thursday, 8 November 2007

Even more wintery....

Here are Jeremy and Devin ready to out for Halloween. Gee, the wall of knives behind them is scary, huh? My mother in law likes to give me knives. I don't know why, the steak knives especially are huge!! Is she trying to tell me something?? Ugh, this kitchen is a mess!!







We went up to the cottage again for a couple of days, intending to take out the boat, and trim some trees. Well, the boat is still in the water, as dh hasn't finished fishing yet. He better hurry, as it was iced in on Monday morning! Mike and his dad were busy on Sunday attaching steel sheets under the cottage, what a cold, messy job! Mike left for work on Monday morning, and my inlaws left Sunday afternoon, so it was just the kids and I. I cut a huge tree into itty bitty pieces and kept a fire going all day on Sunday burning up all the smallest branches. Mike cut the biggest branches off for me with the chainsaw. I think the in laws will be impressed. I hope so, I took like 10 loads of laundry with me, as my machine is not working!

Monday morning we awoke to gunshots all over the place! Hunting season had begun, so I was reluctant to venture far out in the woods with the kids. We drove into town to pick up some more things for my swap sister's box, and at this rate I am going to need a bigger box! I am having way too much fun with this, but I have to pack it up and send it off to her by Saturday, and I still have some things to make for it!! I think she may get a steady stream of boxes from now on!! I wish I could deliver them in person, she is amazing!! The link to her blog is on the left, Little Treasure.

On the way into town, the roads were a sea of fluorescent orange vests, hats, and men with guns slung over their shoulders. I have nothing against hunting at all, but this was intimidating! I am hoping that they do not come onto our property.

On the drive home, we passed a house on a road called Thistlewood Road. It was a house, barn and a creamery on the back of the property. It is for sale, for $156,000.00!!! Oh this country girls heart is melting!!! It has 83 acres to chase hunters away from, and the price is too good to be true. The house has 5 bedrooms, and is almost 1600 square feet, a far cry from the barely 1000 ours is!

Here is the catch... the house is standing empty and is in debatable shape. In fact, it is being sold "AS IS". My heart is thinking market garden, apple trees, hiking, horses, peace and quiet, laundry flapping on the line. My head is saying MONEY PIT, likely a septic system that doesn't work, a dry well, sleeping with raccoons and critters, maintenance out of this world, and my dh would have a 1.5 hour commute to work, in the winter it would be not doable some days. So, we are praying about it, and hoping to go and look at it. I was hoping to get a picture of it, but I forgot the camera!!

This is the beginning of the snowstorm, it makes me cold just seeing this!







This is looking back from the end of the dock to the cottage, brrrrr!!! The blue blob by the dock is Leaky Louie, the canoe.




On Tuesday we woke up to a snowstorm. I couldn't see across the lake at times. I went down to the dock and bailed over 40 small buckets of water from the boat. The wind was awful. I do not like winter. In fact, I LOATHE winter. Someone find some good things to say about winter! Okay, as therapy, later on I will post the GOOD things about winter. We had to pack up and drive home in this, and I wasn't thrilled about it. We passed a snowplow on the way home sanding down the roads...sigh...it is only 4 months until spring, is it too early to start counting down?????

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the gorgeous pictures...I absolutely LOVE the snow...as long as I am not driving in it....those pictures make me long for my hometown in Northern Ontario....out here on the West Coast we do not get that kind of snow...we have to go to Whistler if we want lots of snow.

    I truly miss the snow...keep the winter pictures comin'

    ReplyDelete