Background

Monday, 6 April 2015

Simple Woman's Daybook for April 6th




Thoughts for Today April 6th 


Outside my window... Sunshine, breezy and cold!  I am watching the poor robins as they have arrived back to mountains of snow and very little food that they are able to eat. I have put some blueberries out and will put some dried apples out later.  10 cm of snow coming tonight....

 


Poor hungry robin!


I am thinking... That Devin may be sharing his cold with me...he was not feeling well last night, and awoke achy and stuffy and with a sore throat.  I am achy and exhausted, blahh...
 
I am thankful... For a risen Saviour who has overcome the darkness!
 
 
I am wearing... Grey tank top, navy blue jersey knit cardigan, blue jeans.
I am creating... Still working on antiquing this dough board. I thought it would be done last week, but the tendonitis in my shoulder is making it a slower process.
 
 
This dough board is so hard to sand, there is black under the blue but it is sanding right to the original finish!  Ah well, it isn't done yet, and it will hopefully look great when it is done!
 
I am going... To do some baking, perhaps a walk DVD, pick up my son from work and take him to the grocery store to pick up some food for his lunches at work.  Apparently, I must also learn how to use Minecraft...
 
I am wondering... What we are getting ourselves into...we bought 6 laying hen and 6 meat king chicks, which we pick up in May.  I have no idea what we are doing!

 
I am reading... Mary Jane's Farm magazine.  Oh how I LOVE this magazine!  I am also reading an insane number of books about chickens...and blogs about chickens....
I am hoping... That the snow melts soon.  It is not good for drainage on our septic field, and we are having to do laundry at my daughter's house, and be very careful how much water we use while this run off slows down.
I am learning... About chickens. Chicken coops. Chicken feed.  Chicken eggs.  Chicken predators and how to protect the chickens.  Chicken maladies. Chickens, chickens, chickens!
 
In my garden... These beauties are not in my garden yet, nor will they be for a good while, but I am about to transplant these horse chestnut saplings into larger pots.
 
 
Horse chestnuts, grown from "conkers". Did you ever play conkers as a child? it was a lot of fun!
 
In my kitchen... Muffins, and cookies are about to be baked.  For supper tonight, it will be leftover ham and scalloped potatoes, though I just noticed someone has taken some of the ham for lunch....
In the homeschool room... Nothing today as Devin isn't feeling well, and I am trying to clean up the house so it helps me feel a little less stressed.
 
A favorite quote for today...

 
 
A peek into one of my days...
 
Tulips are one of my favourite flowers!
 


 
 

 
My African violet has gone crazy!
 

One of my favorite things... Thrift store treasure hunting, antiquing. Some of my finds over the weekend......
 
I bought this antique quilt for $15.00!
 



 
Blue glass fish net floats.

 
Not antique floats, but I just love cobalt blue glass!
 

 
Bought all these antique wooden pulleys for $10.00 for Devin's museum.
 

 
After a good clean, I will use this box in my kitchen for matches.
 

 
Antique and well used marshmallow tin.
 

 
From the board room I just love pens of all different kinds, and found some great info on Pinterest this week!  You can see the pin HERE



 


The website is HERE.
 
 
Post Script... If you like to make cards, or journal or scrapbook, check out SHOREGIRL'S CREATIONS, she has freebies and tutorials as well, and I really enjoy this website, she is very talented!
 
Please visit THE SIMPLE WOMAN'S BLOG to read more Daybooks!


Scroll WAYYYYY down to comment, I am not sure what has gone wrong with this post but I can't seem to fix it either!!
 































































































 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 









14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I was hoping to come over and find that the snow was gone! :) I'm sorry you are all not feeling well. I don't know how you stay well with this weather for so long! Chickens are pretty easy here but not sure about where the snow is so deep! Loved all these neat pictures. So much color! Will be praying that the snow will end soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really hoping they are wrong about the snow tonight. it is getting so frustrating. I am excited about the chickens just worried about getting the coop done in time and the foxes that slink around here. Have a great week...and thanks for praying!

      Delete
  2. Did I read that correctly... you are getting more snow??? $15 for a quilt... go you! I think my hubby and I need to go antiquing this weekend! Good luck with the chickens!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. More snow. GRRRRR. I lucked out on that quilt for sure, I think we could have talked him down to $10.00, he was trying to unload as much as he could. I think you should go antiquing this weekend too :) Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Aw, you have hungry robins, too! They def. are eating the apples and berries we put out!
    Nice thrift score!
    Congrats on the chickens! We are down to just bantams now. The occasional hawk has nabbed one here and there. And the mink last summer ate a few. It's tough being a chicken! I can't wait to let them outside again and I'm sure they want out, too.
    Mmm... cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I just threw some blueberries out there for them, and will try the apples tomorrow. After I shovel. I feel so bad for them, they sit out there all puffed up and cold! And the hummingbirds won't be long in coming back either, I hope they aren't back too soon. We will likely have to keep the chickens enclosed in a run all the time, we have foxes on a regular basis that come right up to the house. I am so worried they will all get eaten!! I still have to make the cookies.....

      Delete
  4. I love Mary Janes Farm Magazine ! And I am speechless that you are getting snow ! Dear goodness , I complained because I heard the heat kick on this morning . It was fun reading your daybook and I hope you (and the little) are feeling well soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a great magazine? I just got the most recent copy, and I am really enjoying it. I like her books too. We got more snow than they said, I have already shoveled once, part of the driveway, and it is still coming down. But I think it is warming up later this week. Thanks so much Lora!

      Delete
  5. How fun with the chickens! I bet you will eventually figure them out after they arrive.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too!! ( As long as they turn out to be kind chickens, I think we will be okay!)

      Delete
  6. LOL that was a long scroll. I have had that happen on my blog and I don't know how to fix it either. Chickens !!! Yikes. But I bet you'll enjoy the adventure. I love those fish net floats. You have some of the coolest things. Have a super week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickens, yes. And now I am chicken of having chickens, lol! We can't even think about building a coop until the snow leaves! Perhaps these chickens will have to have snorkels! I hope your week is great too!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful post again. Sure hope Devin is feeling better and you don't catch anything. Poor little robin's trying to find food...hope your snow disappears quickly. I love those lovely quilts. All your photos are gorgeous.

    Hugs my friend,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a pen "thing". I love them. I have too many really, but then I don't. Does that make sense? lol I love the flower pictures. African Violets remind me of my Grammie. I miss her.

    ReplyDelete