For Today... Monday April 13th
Outside my window... It is warming up! The sun is shining with thin wispy clouds overhead. The snow is melting so quickly, and the driveway is a mud bog. I can see grass! I can hear gulls overhead, and I am seeing juncos and robins flitting about. We are feeding the robins apples, blueberries and grapes and they are gobbling it all up, since they can't get their own food yet with all the snow. I am also putting out dryer lint and bits of yarn for nesting material. I am so hoping spring is finally here!
We went to the beach last week, and we actually saw robins looking for food on the seashore! We have never even heard robins down there before. They are so hungry!
He blends in pretty well!
I am thinking... That today might be good to start some spring cleaning. I am going to start by putting away my old wooden skis I have sitting on my front porch!
My spring cleaning buddy...she has 8 hands...I wish she would help me clean the windows!
I am thankful... For this great weekend we had. My hubby and I went out exploring and researching what we need for the chickens, we had lunch out, my daughter, son in law and grandson came over to visit both days, we have plans for a chicken coop and add on to our shed thanks to our son in law, Devin's cold is getting better though he has a terrible cough, we could open the windows and air out the house ( much needed with a septic issue!), we made supper to take to a supper program for the homeless and while we were out our daughter made us supper, and we had a nice visit with friends. It was busy but just nice!
This is Robyn and Nathan taken almost the same date last year! Wow, has he grown ( and look...no snow!)
I am wearing... A grey jersey knit long sleeve shirt and blue jeans.
I am creating... Messes everywhere as I start spring cleaning! Still have the dough board in the works, slow but sure!
A peek at the ocean through a piece of sea ice, taken last spring.
I am going... To be dog sitting for my friend the next two weeks, she has a wonderful King Charles Cavalier spaniel, and she is coming this afternoon. I am hoping to take our dog for a walk to the mailbox today, as now we can see the road again and it is easier to walk.
I am wondering... About rearranging furniture to make things a little more open and spacious.
I am reading... See last weeks post. And then add even more books about chickens!
I am hoping...The septic isn't done for. It would cost roughly $25,000.00 to replace it. We are getting it looked at tomorrow, and getting a camera put in and then pumped out. There certainly are benefits to living in town, I must say.....
I am learning...To wait....to be still, to try and leave this issue in God's hands. He has never let us down before, though His plans may be different sometimes, and He does things differently than we may think. But they are always for our best. I write this inwardly being afraid and anxious. That part needs to stop! I am also learning to use a lot less water, and to be thankful for what we have.
In my garden... Well, I can almost see my garden now! I can't see the raised beds yet, nor can I get over the snow banks, but it IS there! I was given some Hoya cuttings by a friend, and they are surprising me by getting flower buds!
Teeny, tiny hoya flower buds!
In my kitchen...I think I had better make some more muffins as they disappeared like crazy here! Oh I have a roast, I may cook that up for tonight. I really need to start menu planning better, especially for lunches, they seem to stress me out the most, I am just lunch time challenged!
In the homeschool room...Now that Devin is feeling a bit better, I hope to get back into more of a routine this week. We are unschooling more and more, aside from math and grammar, and you know, he learns so much better that way? He learns to love learning, and once you can do that, you can learn anything any time you want.
A peek into one of my days...
Finally, a BEACH WALK!!! Look at that water, and all that blue sky!!
( See quote above!)
Not much beachcombing to be done, as everything was covered in snow and ice!
It was a slippery slog in, as they close the gates until mid May, so we need to park and hike in.
Jeremy was trying to get Devin to look "tough"....it just wasn't happening. The salty air was sure good for Devin's cold though! Maybe that was why he was so happy, lol!
Okay, now he is allowed to smile!
He doesn't look so tough now, does he??
One of my favorite things... Clotheslines and hanging out the laundry!
Photo source http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Hallig_Hooge,_Germany,_view_from_the_Backenswarft.jpg
Post Script... Wow, Backyard Chickens is a great website if you have or want chickens! It has coop plans and ideas, everything you need to know about chickens! This is going to be my go to resource.
Here is a part of my journal from this morning....












The ocean and the snow together seem like such an odd combination here but it looks lovely! So glad you had a pretty nice week. Praying the next one brings more thawing and time outdoors. Have a blessed week Ellen!
ReplyDeleteIt does seem like a strange combination! Today it is raining, so I hope that speeds up the thaw. Thanks!
DeleteLove all your pictures!! Especially the one of the peek of the ocean!! Yay for the snow melting!!! Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jodi! I couldn't resist trying that one at the ocean!
DeleteI have skis on my porch too! Awesome!
ReplyDeleteOh that's cool!! I usually dress them up with Christmas greens, I don't think decorating them with pansies would look right, lol! Maybe water skis for summer!
DeleteWhoa...I cannot believe the costs for the septic tanks. Prayers that there will be a cheaper way! Glad the snow is finally melting for you. We have been having rain here but we needed it. The days are grey though and I need sunshine! Love all the pictures you share. I am glad I don't have lunches to worry about They eat at school
ReplyDeleteLunches really just perplex me, I am not sure why. If I planned for them, they wouldn't be so perplexing, lol! It is pouring with rain here today, and the septic man hasn't come yet, so this could be interesting. I am staying inside and lighting lots of strong scented candles for when he does come!
DeleteYour ocean photos are gorgeous! Hoping your septic issue isn't as bad as all that! Wow!
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen! I love taking photos at the ocean. It is quite involved to fix the septic if this system has failed, we have to dig up the whole field and replace all the gravel and soil and sand...I am trying to think positively!
DeleteI'm glad to read no new snow!! Glad to hear spring is finally there! Hoping the septic tank won't have to be replaced! Is that something home owner's insurance would cover, assuming you have home owner's insurance?
ReplyDeletebetty
Were you scared to come back and read that we had another storm?? hehehe! So far, so good. We have insurance, but since it hasn't flooded our house, it is not likely covered. Grrrrr....
DeleteEnjoyed reading about your day, my friend.. Love the Hoya.. I had not heard of that before.. Is it a houseplant? Your pics are sweet and show you as a loving sweet family.. Enjoy your Spring cleaning... I too long for flowerbeds uncovered by snow.. xo
ReplyDeleteHi Faye! The hoya is a tropical houseplant, and it is tricky to get it to flower, so I am really hoping it co operates! We are a very close family, and I love spending time with my kids. Spring cleaning was more fun yesterday when it was sunny I must say! Hugs!
DeleteLove your beach pics Ellie, I'll take the beach any day, snow or no snow! Nice to see your getting blue skies and warmer weather again. Best of luck with the septic system....my parents had problems with theirs many years ago and I remember visiting them and not being allowed to throw toilet paper in the toilet because of it, yeah, that was kind of yucky. Anyway, I hope it all works out for y'all fast.
ReplyDelete