Background

Wednesday, 7 May 2008

Photos of my trip to Nova Scotia

Okay, Mike has been bugging me about when I am going to get the pictures posted, so here we go. This is just a taste of nova Scotia... there are lots of pictures so pull up a chair!


We thought we had come into the tropics when we walked over a hill and saw this!! It was breathtaking!! And it wasn't just becasue it was so incredibly cold!! This is Crystal Crescent beach in West Pennant, just outside of Halifax about 20 minutes. We are looking at a house not far from here, but it looks like we were too late with an offer.




Another view of Crystal Crescent Beach.. It is gorgeous here, with lots of boardwalks and trails to hike, and it is FREE!!!




Mike freezing at Crystal Crescent Beach. This goes straight across the North Atlantic, brrr...




A great exhibit in the Maritime Museum, all about sea monsters. We walked into this old boat, and all you could hear was waves and wind, and men screaming with blood curdling screams. On a table was a letter that some unsuspecting sailor was writing...at the end of the letter was, "God help us all...." scrawled out. Then coming through the windows were these huge tentacles. Ugh, they were even soft and squishy... My kids will love this!!





The one that didn't get away!! Yikes!!







This is the monster I narrowly escaped from! Lucky, I know!!






A chair found from the Titanic, at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. There were many, many exhibits regarding the Titanic, and other shipwrecks, off the coast of Nova Scotia through the years.







I love this old house!! It is not for sale, but if it was.....hmmmmm....




And I think this boathouse goes with it!!





A grey Maritime morning looking out to the Atlantic.





Peggy's Cove lighthouse. This place is to be respected, for a number of reasons. One is the danger of the ocean and the waves, which have swept people away. The rocks are quite steep in places also, and with the drizzle and rain, and lots of times, the fog, it can be quite dangerous. Also, a few years ago, a Swissair flight crashed just off the shore, and everyone was killed. The people here have not been the same since. There is a memorial to them just outside the village, which I couldn't bring myself to go to, as I was getting onto a plane in the next few days. Dumb, I know.







Oh my gosh, the wind was so cold!! It was freezing. I guess I better toughen up, huh?







Thar she blows!!! The Peggy's Cove lighthouse. It is also a post office during the summer.








Part of the village of Peggy's Cove. This place is just crawling with tourists during the summer, and for the life of me, I can't figure out where everyone parks!






Coming into Peggy's Cove. It ain't just a lighthouse!








The fishing village of Prospect. I love this village!! Some of the homes we are looking at are just minutes outside this sweet little place.







A view of the harbour at Prospect Bay.







This is a tiny fishing village that a family has created, just oustide a small fishing village, Terence Bay I think. It is the sweetest thing, there are even clothes hanging on a tiny clothesline!






This is Theodore Tugboat, he is in downtown Halifax, and in the summer, you can actually go out for a sail on it!! How cool!!




I will post more but am very busy packing! We haven't found a house yet. Two we were interested in have offers, so we are just praying for the right one to come along!

5 comments:

  1. Oh what beautiful pictures....I am so excited for you....weather won't be that much different than what you have now...except an awesome view:-)

    Blessings,

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ellie! Those are some stunning photos! I thought Manitoulin Island was gorgeous, but Nova Scotia is even more breathtaking!!! Hmmmm...I've always wanted to visit Nova Scotia...

    I've been to New Brunswick, but haven't been to PEI or Nova Scotia yet. It's on my list!!

    Happy packing! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing! Looking at all your photos of Nova Scotia just makes me so excited for you and your family. I remember when I made the final decision to move from Toronto to Manitoulin Island, I felt so much excitement at the idea of all the exciting new adventures I was about to go on. Your move reminds me of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen, When are you going to be honest on you blog about your real age of 39!!! I have let this slide for months now - time is up lady!!

    Love the hubby!

    PS It's is fun being in trouble when you can't actually beat me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Ellie, your hubby is hilarious!
    Just popped in to wish you a Happy Mother's Day! XO

    ReplyDelete