This afternoon, I took Robyn out to get groceries, as her fridge finally arrived at their new home, and she needed to stock up and my gosh, the rain was awful! At 4:00 PM, as we were leaving the grocery store, it was almost totally dark outside, and the rain was horizontal. I dropped my girlie off at her new home ( though I wanted to bring her and her dh home where we could hunker down together) and came home, only to have to drive back into the city to pick up my dh so he could pick up his car from the garage ( he had his snow tires put on today).
I finally got home, and lit candles and my oil lamp right away ( I use liquid paraffin in my lamps, it is much cleaner burning than kerosene). I learned this lesson the hard way, quite some time ago. We had a storm and the power went out, and we had no lamps or candles lit, and the flashlight was downstairs. It was very difficult to find the flashlight with one child screaming and the others panicky!
It almost feels like we are on a ship, the house feels like it is rocking at times, and the wind is howling in the fir trees outside. Every once in a while, a real gust hits the front windows and everything shudders. I had to put towels around all the front windows and doors, as the rain is blowing under the door and through the bottom of the windows! Thankfully that doesn't happen often, but this wind seems to be coming right off the ocean. My windows will be covered with salt tomorrow! The power has started to flicker a bit now. I am really glad that it is warm enough that we can get by without the furnace, and so glad it is not as cold as it was yesterday, otherwise this would be a blizzard!
We live just up the road from a fishing village, and I can't help but think of the fishermen out at sea tonight, and hope they have made it in to safe harbour. Lobster season is just beginning in our part of Nova Scotia, though I think it has been delayed due to the winds this week, but I have not had time to take a drive by the seashore to see if any traps have been set. We love to go down and see them bring in the traps and set new ones!
Here's hoping for sunny skies to return soon!
I just got this candle and just love the scent! I normally don't go for "foodie' type candles, but this one is amazing!
This little elf is my first Christmas decoration up...I love Christmas elves! I just bought him at the dollar store, but he was too cute to just leave there! I have one of my favourite Bible verses just under his arm behind the little houses, it is always good to do dishes and read Scripture!
A cozy, warm and snug kitchen, ready in case the power goes out. And there is Devin, sitting in the living room playing Minecraft - and also hoping the power doesn't go out, lol!
No comments:
Post a Comment