Background

Tuesday, 14 July 2015

When you don't "fit".

I don't fit.  It is absolutely true.  And usually, I am okay with it.  Maybe I am just tired.  Mostly I am overwhelmed.  I put things onto my shoulders that do not need to be there ( unlike the yoke of Jesus, which is easy and light...the yoke I put on my own shoulders, the yoke I have made for me) is heavy, and awkward and does not fit.  It rubs and irritates and makes everything hard and unwieldy. It is always painful when something does not fit.  Shoes for example, if they are a poor fit, they give you blisters which take some time to heal.  They rub and make you limp and you wonder if it is better to walk on that gravel in those tight shoes or barefoot across the jagged rocks. Don't even get me started on a bathing suit that doesn't fit.....things creeping up, popping out, digging in...then when you actually make your way into the water, it is even worse.  Sometimes things loosen up, and you end up falling out, bands slipping and loosening, with the backside of the suit hanging down around your knees. 

It is not a good feeling when something doesn't fit.

It is not a good feeling when you feel like you don't fit or belong, which I have been feeling for a while.  Truthfully, when I was young I didn't "fit" because I have red hair and freckles. Then I didn't fit because my dad died in an accident when I was 13 and that made things very awkward, difficult and lonely.

We home school, and that doesn't fit with the norm.

All this has not really bugged me.  But now, I guess it does.  It is a lonely and difficult feeling to know that unless you go to great lengths to be someone you are not, you will not fit in.  I am me...and I have no desire to change to suit someone else.  I do not fit in my church, it is a big church, with groups that stick to themselves, and I try to talk to people.  It is hard when you are shy, and when you have come out of a church that can only be described as cult like.

It is certainly hard when you don't fit with your family, siblings and parents, because you will not let them control and manipulate you

I am a home body, I like to be at home, with my family.  I like to go out, of course, but my happy place is in my home.  I do not take my kids and enroll them in every sport going, I believe that we need the down time.  This is rather unpopular with a lot of people who feel you are sheltering your kids. 

And then there is anxiety and fear.  Neither one of which is going to help you fit in.  I guess I am just trying to sort this out and writing it out will help me.  Maybe I have had too much time to think about this the past week or so.  Maybe because I have neglected my quite times.  Truly the only person you need to ever fit with is God. I don't know why this is bothering me tonight.  But it is getting on my nerves!  I am going to post this, at least for tonight, and then decide whether I want to keep it up, or it spurs me on write more....

I like this quote....



 


14 comments:

  1. I love that quote. I feel much the same way most of the time. However, the older I get the less I care that I 'don't fit'. I, too, am a homebody and here at my house no one cares if I don't fit in with the rest of the world. And I need to tell you once again: I love red hair and freckles. Wish I had them!!! Love you too. Here's a big hug!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Paula! I know I have changed a lot and it doesn't bother me on a constant basis that I don't fit in. For some reason it has just been hard to get past recently. Hehe, red hair and freckles are fine now, but when you are a kid, sometimes it is a real pain in the neck putting up with comments and jokes! Big hugs back, thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. I grew up with red hair and so is my youngest and we've had lovely comments on our color for years. Redheads are amazing, smart and a little mysterious, lol ;-) We all feel this way at times and having anxiety seems to make it worse, I've gone through this too. But remember these wise words from Eleanor Roosevelt "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission" One of the best things I can say to you is don't live your life to others standards or expectations or beliefs. Life is short and your happiness matters. Those who are worth having in your life will embrace you exactly how you are and not expect you to be something you are not. Stay true to who you are. It will get better, focus on the good things and the rest give a few moments to and let it go. You are healthy with a beautiful family and that is a blessing denied to many, that is what you need to focus on in the hard moments. :-) Sorry for rambling on...but you matter and you do make a difference and sometimes we all have those days when we need to hear that. Have a fabulous day! Redheads rock! :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill! Now I get more positive comments from people, including people who come up to me in stores and say how much they love my hair colour! Or sometimes people think I am a friend of theirs until they talk to me and realize they were mistaken! But I personally had a brutal time with it growing up, including having a high school English teacher declare to the whole class that red heads can't be trusted. Now, I really quite like having red hair! Yes, you are right, the anxiety makes it feel so much worse, and that is really hard to get past some times. I have recently had to decide to keep my sister at an arms length, well, more than that actually, and that is hard. But I cannot be who she is trying to make me be. I'm glad you rambled on, thanks, it has helped. I really like that quote too, it has been in my head the past few weeks. Thanks Jill! ( and fellow redhead!)

      Delete
  3. Sending you ((HUGS)) I often feel like I march to the beat of a different drummer - and most times I'm okay with it. However, there are times when it would be nice to fit in with the "norm". Just know you are not alone! I love the quote - it is so true :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((Hugs back)) Thanks. Yep, I kind of do my own thing, and tend to be a loner, and actually like it that way. But there are times I would just like to go out and not have to fight the anxiety issues, but that is always hard to overcome. But I know I can help some people and that usually keeps my head above water. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. This world is not a comfortable place for a child of The King. Even churches have become very worldly and maybe that is why you feel uncomfortable there. We have always enjoyed a small body ourselves. I too am a home body. Mister likes to go. I of course go with him but I am always happy to be back in my comfort zone! :)
    Will keep you in my prayers Ellie!
    {{hugs!}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know something, that is SO true. I realize the more time I spend reading news stories etc, the more depressed and trapped I feel, like I do not belong anywhere. I have felt that way about church, there are things I do not agree with, and really do not belong in church, and no one else seems to think things are too compromising. It makes me just not want to go there and home church sometimes! Thanks so much for praying and for your advice!

      Delete
  5. I can totally relate to this. I don't fit in either. Sometimes it bothers me but like Paula said, the older I get, the less it seems to bother me. I do agree that the only one we really need to fit in with is God and he loves us just the way we are.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Betty! I am so thankful that God loves us the way we are and we don't have to be someone we are not around Him, though I think lots of people try to sneak past Him, lol! My aunt has told me a few times too that I will get to the point where it doesn't bother me anymore, I hope so!

      Delete
  6. You fit with me 💜 I know exactly how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hon!! I love you so much! xoxo Yes, you and I can relate on so many levels! I am so glad that we fit together!

      Delete
    2. The ?? Was supposed to be a heart :-)

      Delete
    3. hehe, I knew that! We are kindred spirits you and I!

      Delete