Background

Monday, 6 July 2015

Simple Woman's Daybook for Monday, July 6th

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For Today... Monday, July 6th, 2015 ( already!)
 
 


Outside my window...Humid and hazy sunshine!  Very warm for here but with coastal sea breezes to cool things off a tad now and then, which is great when I am gardening.
 
 
 
Wild beach roses....oh the scent...and oh the thorns!  YIKES!
 
 

 
Petals in the sand.
 
 

 
Blue flag iris growing by the lighthouse.
 


I am thinking... I have too much to do and need to just start doing SOMETHING to get my mind occupied and get going!

I am thankful... For true friends who respect you, and love you, even if you have different opinions.
 
 
 
I love this little farm market.  You can buy veggies, fresh baking, ice cream, and books!!  It is also a used book store!

 

I am wearing... Navy capris, royal blue tank top, flip flops


I am creating... A craft idea for the kids club at church tonight, and some beach themed gifts for a friend.
 
 
 
Cha-ching!  blue sea glass, but this is still quite sharp.  We kept it anyway!
 


I am going... To work in the garden today before it gets much hotter, to lead the kids club art and craft night, I am hoping to take Devin swimming sometime this week, or head to the beach.
 
 
 
 
Ahh, this is such a rewarding sound!  Crunching the old, dried out, sun bleached crab shells.  I lucked out on this huge one!  It is nature's bumble wrap, haha!
 


I am wondering... If I am going to break out with poison ivy, thanks to not paying careful attention while out on a sea glass expedition the other day.  I looked and saw the poison ivy, and knew it had been there, but it was only tiny the last time we were at this spot in the summer.  In the end, I just kept going, because I was already in it.  This is why I rarely wear flip flops and shorts to some of the out of the way beaches.  it is a very odd place for poison ivy to be growing.  I have had it before, it takes about a week to break out for me. UGH.  As soon as I got back to the car, I slathered myself in hand sanitizer.  If there was jewelweed nearby I would have used that!
 
 
 
Leaves of three, let them be!!
 

 
Uhmm, never mind too late!  Leaves of three, pray you don't get itchy!
 
 

 
This is cow parsnip, but when I first saw it, I thought it was giant hogweed ( which grows to an amazing 15 feet tall!).  Giant hog weed is an invasive plant and super toxic, it causes blindness and severe burns, which can last for 10 years if the area it affects is exposed to sunlight!  Cow parsnip is also toxic and cause a bad, burning rash.  I stayed away from this thankfully!
 


I am reading... "Beach House Happy" by Antonia Van Der Meer.  A huge book of beach and coastal homes around the globe, just beautiful!
 
 
 


I am hoping... The hot weather does not start the panic attacks again.  I have started to notice what sets me up to feel extreme anxiety and panic, and heat and hot, sticky weather are two things.  We have no air conditioning, so that makes it harder.  Then I try to sneak off the seashore, but I don't like to be out when I am feeling anxious.
 
 
 
Devin trying to get in the water, but it was too cold!
 

 
 

 
Photo sphere shot of Devin in front of the Terence Bay lighthouse.
 
 

 
He's a strong boy, holding a lighthouse in one hand!
 


I am learning... That this saying is true..."If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything"


In my garden... I need to get some updated photos! The onions keep on coming and now I can pick the mesclun lettuce mix.  We managed to find a drastically reduced plant sale at a garden centre and we got more perennials for the perennial beds we are putting in.  The grass we have planted is starting to grow nicely, thanks to foggy evenings and misty mornings.  So far my tomatoes are not showing signs of blight.  The chickens have a much larger coop now, as the meat chickens are living in the freezer at the moment.  We decided not to raise those again, and so we can expand things a bit.
 
 
One of our six chickens, ready for the freezer.

 

In my kitchen... ALL THINGS STRAWBERRY!  We have had a strawberry pie my daughter made, I made strawberry shortcake last night.  I also need to make some bread and I am trying to make easy meals which don't heat up the house.  I love strawberry season!  And now it lasts so much longer too!
 
 
 
 
Yum, wild strawberries picked on our property!
 
 

 
Strawberry pie!!   Mmmmm!
 
 


 

In the homeschool room... "School's out for summer....." sung with my best Alice Cooper impersonation, lol!
 


A favorite quote for today...  I love this sea glass prayer! 
 
 

A peek into one of my days...
 
 
Had a visitor this week!  Nathan is almost 16 months old!
 

 
He comes to play with his Grammy on Friday's, and loves to play in the water.



 
Devin and I sitting on the steps of the lighthouse.
 


One of my favorite things... Old houses and barns.  Though I also find them profoundly sad, they are beautiful and even if they are sagging and falling apart, and there are holes and rotting wood and missing shingles, they are also very strong. The fact they still hold on show how well they were taken care of and loved.  Houses used to be so well built, I don't think we can say the same of many homes today.
 
 
I am not sure how this house is still standing!  It is beautiful!
 
 

 
It is full of garbage, and dare I say there are some treasures in there too!
 

 


From the board room... This is the craft I am doing with the kid's club at church tonight.  I am sending you to this particular blog because it is so amazing for craft ideas!  Scroll down the page of the blog this is on, and then click on Sharpie, that will take you to the Sharpie webpage.
 
 
 
(Photo credit agirlandagluegun)
 


Post Script... I love the photos on THIS BLOG.  He is a wonderful, talented photographer, and my dh worked with him before we transferred here.

 

Please join us over at THE SIMPLE WOMAN'S BLOG to read more Daybooks...or to write one of your own!
 
 
 
Thanks for taking time to read my thoughts today!  I will pop by your blogs this week as I get time.  Please comment, if you have time, I love comments!
 
 
Photo by Devin.



 

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such wonderful photos on your Simple woman's daybook post today! Love the beach ones; the sea glass; the one of the little one holding up the lighthouse - so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coming to your blog! I learn so much about plants and flowers!!! Love all of your pictures! Your grandson is a cutie!! Have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thee lighthouse is perfectly placed in Devon's hand Great shot! Nathan is a cutie and he looks like he's having fun. The sea glass prayer is one I have never heard pf before. Thanks for sharing it. Imlove the look of that old house you showed. It reminds me of some I've seen in Irish films. I enjoyed your daybook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Simple Woman's Daybook is my favorite!! I love all of your pictures. I wish I lived close enough we could go visit the sea together. The picture of your son holding up the lighthouse is my favorite of all time. I love, love, love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for you not having air conditioning; we didn't have it for 4 years and those summers were miserable ones when it would get out. I hope the weather doesn't trigger any panic/anxiety attacks for you. Such a cute picture of you and your son!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to visit your posts. Absolutely love the pic with Devon holding up the lite house. Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your pictures make me feel like I am at your place! I LOVE pictures. Thanks for sharing them.
    I will be praying for your anxiety. I've delt with it too and it is a very real thing. Doing things that you enjoy and trying to relax helps a lot. (I know, more unsolicited advise).
    Take care and see you around!

    ReplyDelete