No matter how old you are!! I took the kids skating on Monday morning, while there was no one on the rink at the lake down the road from our house. It was tough skating as the ice was rough, but I hit a nice smooth, slick spot, and then everything else happened in slow motion.
I fell backwards, and wasn't thinking about hitting my head, but I did, and hard. I did not pass out, but it was the worse feeling I think I have ever felt. I didn't know if I was bleeding, I didn't know how I would get off the ice, I didn't want my kids to see me severely injured. I cried and yelled for Robyn to go back to the van to get my phone. A lady was skating with her young child, and came over to see if I was okay. I knew what year it was, etc, so that was a good sign!! Meanwhile, I put my hand on the back of my head, and the swelling was incredible. I managed to get off the ice, and back to the van, while dh was on his way right home.
I managed to drive home!! I went very slow, and I felt really weird the whole way home. A dumb thing to do, but I had to get us home. I felt very sick to my stomach and was really glad to pull in the driveway. I felt like I broke my jaw, I must have clenched my jaw when I knew I was falling. I immediately put ice on my head, and was very relieved that I did not cut myself also, I was glad that I wouldn't need stitches!
I got dh to take me to the hospital, and we waited for 3 hours. I tried very hard not to fall asleep, as I felt so tired. Once I got in to see the doctor, of course, I got a lecture about NOT wearing a helmet. Mind you...I suppose we should all wear helmets in the winter, as I think there are more severe falls here on the sidewalks than on the ice! I passed all the neurological tests, and did not need a CT scan, thankfully. The fact that I was playing a trivia game on my cell phone was a good indication that my memory was working just fine! I did go to my doctor the next day just to ask questions and be reassured about things. I do have a mild concussion and have to be very careful in the next while to NOT hit my head again. I don't think skating will be on my list of things I want to do this winter!
Now I also have a nice case of whiplash, sleeping is difficult, and being tired is not helping me feel any better. The weather has been so gorgeous the past couple of days, perfect for a ski or hike, but I have had to watch from inside. I did get out with dh to do groceries this morning, which was very overwhelming with all the things to focus on, the bright lights ,and my mind not being all there, plus my neck hurting.
So...always wear a helmet if you are skating!!!!!! I am hoping I recover soon. As nice as it is to be taken care of by everyone, I really would like to be able to be functional again too!!.
hope u recover soon ^^
ReplyDeleteOh ouch!!! Praying your feeling better very soon.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness...I WON"T lecture you on wearing a helmet LOL...I never do either...but make my kids...what's with that?
ReplyDeleteHow are you feeling now?
Connie