Background

Tuesday, 10 March 2015

A peek into a journal page.

 
These are the words I write in my journal this morning.  Just a few that I snuck into a corner of the page I created.  I tucked them out of the way where they wouldn't sprawl all over the page, so that I would not look weak, and tired and crazy.  Before writing this, I lay in bed after my husband went to work and thought about how nice it would be to stay tucked under the covers, and not peek my nose out all day.
 
I forced myself out from under the quilts and pillows, and swung my legs out and put my feet on the cold floor.  The morning light comes a bit later just now, and the sky was that glowing blue hue, the trees covered in white, fluffy snow.  I stood peering out and felt that all too familiar feeling of doom billowing up. Here I am, looking at this wonderful creation from God's hands, and I felt fear and anxiety.  My heart started beating faster, and I felt like I couldn't breathe.  I wondered how I would get my son to work, how I would entertain a friend today, how I would get through the day at all.
 
I sort of walked around aimlessly lost for a bit, wondering what to do. I knew what to do, and this time I turned against all the negative thoughts in my head and did the right thing, sat and took a deep breath and spent time with my Lord.
 
I have two different books I am reading, devotionals actually, both short and to the point.  I am also working my way on reading through Psalms, and write out a verse ( or two) from each chapter that I think are special.  Today, each book seemed to say a variation of the same thing.
 
I started with my little confession of the anxiety that was seeping though the cracks and threatening to boil over.  ( See above)
 
Then came this Bible verse..
 
 
 
I imagined sitting under a big pine tree, its wide and thick branches sheltering me from the sun, providing cool shade, a place of refuge.  Isn't God exactly like that??  He truly is!  He truly cares for me, even when I feel that no one understands this anxiety, He does, and He promises to walk through it with me.  And to be my refuge.  He answers my prayers to get through each minute, and sticks around to push the negative thoughts out and to replace them with good thoughts, with His truth.
 
 
 
This was my reading in Psalms today.  A refuge, like the big pine tree. A place of safety, a place where I can go, where I am safe to be me and don't have to pretend to be anyone else. With His promise to not abandon me.  To not abandon anyone who comes to Him.
 
 
I still had trouble getting through the day. In fact, sitting here writing this, I have had waves of fear washing over me.  But I left this page open to remind myself to take shelter under God's mighty arms, to remind me that these feelings are real, and bothersome, but God is stronger. He is my shelter, My refuge, and My peace.  This is a big deal to me, this is how my life has been for as long as I can remember, though worse the past couple of years.  This is also a big deal to God, who won't turn away or abandon me. 
 
 
If you suffer from anxiety, don't walk through it alone, hiding in the corners.  Look to God who promises to never abandon us.  Talk about it, and don't carry it yourself.  I hope to encourage others, even though some days, I feel like I can barely breathe and get through myself.  If you need prayer for anxiety or depression, please comment below. I would be honoured to pray for you!
 
 
 
 
 



 


 
 

6 comments:

  1. Ellie I hope you have kept the anxiety at bay today. For you my friend I will pray. I love your journal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Psalm 9:9-10 is a life verse of mine. I am so sorry with your anxiety, I can go through times of intense anxiety so I know how it feels especially the "I can't breathe" thought. I did like you, go to the Lord. For me I would draw in my journal a tiny little dot and then a big circle around the dot. I was the dot and God was the circle around me. I also would say throughout the day "I trust in you Lord". I do like your journal.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worries have a way of creeping into my thoughts and causing anxiety also. I'm blessed to say I haven't felt like that in a long time, but it can creep in like a thief in the night when we least expect it and I know I'm not immune to it. So Ellie, I'll pray for you and I know you'll pray for me also. This morning while making coffee and waiting for my husband I switched on the television, there was a documentary about volcanoes and the earth. It just made me think about the heavens above and the fire within our earth...and I realized that there is nothing to fear, we are right in the middle and Christ is holding us up the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Ellie! You are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it wonderful, Ellie that God always meet us when we need Him most.. I have struggled with Winter anxiety when I was younger but thankfully with the Lord's help I do not have it any longer..The verse in Philippians 4:6-8 has blessed my life.. I will remember you in my prayers.. Take care, dear heart..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here I am a few days late, Ellie. I hope and pray your anxiety will ease with time. Love your art journaling. So very beautiful! xxoo

    ReplyDelete