Okay, on to Jeremy. My brain is in such a fog I hope I can post this coherently! Jeremy just turned 13, and he is determined to do me in!! I have never met anyone who hates to learn, but I have now, and it is Jeremy!! He hates to learn. He could care less if he ever learned anything. Well, unless it relates to monster trucks, and I have already got him working on that. For goodness sake, right now we are continuing to work on carrying and borrowing, he does not get it, he refuses to try even. I have taught it to him as many ways as I can think of, and we use Mathusee which we have had success with. But he doesn't retain anything he learns. I will teach him something today, and tomorrow it is like he never heard of it before. I have been moving him on in his book for Mathusee, but I don't think he remembers how to do any of it, either that or he is making it up that he doesn't get it . He is so incredibly far behind, but I can't push him on if he doesn't understand it. He is the same with language arts and his spelling, well, Devin who is 5 can spell better than Jeremy at this point. Jeremy just doesn't care.
I am embarassed that he is this far behind, but my dh and I did decide to take more time with him, as he does seem to struggle with his memory. I am trying hard to bite my tongue, but all this jumping through hoops and staying up trying to figure out what I should do to make it better for him is wearing me thin. I don't know what to do.
Somedays, he will have a great day and school will go so well for him. The next day it is like he has never heard about what we spoke of the day before. I am at the end of my rope really, and jsut feel like I am such a crummy parent!!
The tilex has won, and I need to crawl into bed. If anyone has had a similar struggle or has suggestions, please let me hear them!
Hi Ellie: I am so sorry to hear that....have you thought that possibly he has a learning difficulty....I would maybe get him tested to see....there are so many different learning disabilities...heck, we all are disabled in some way....but having a handicapped child and researching until my brains hurt...I have seen, heard and read alot....this is not to say that he is dumb...on the contary....we also have a daughter who has a reading disability...what she reads is actually not what she says....she will see a video or read a book and then you ask her what she saw and read and it will be different that what actually was portrayed....she hated "homeschooling" and would learn nothing....I was so frustrated....then she decided she wanted to try school....it changed her life...she has been on the Honour Roll since grade 8....the school works very hared with her (secretly)....as she does not want anyone to know...but she does not get marked on spelling as her spelling is terrible....she also gets a laptop computer for her Provincials for spell check....to look at her you would never know...but she gets frustrated because sometimes giving messages or telling us something, it looks like she is lying but infact she believes what she heard....very frustrating.
ReplyDeletePlease do not assume that I am telling you to put Jeremy in school, that is only a decision you and dh can make....it it changed our daughters life....she was now accountable to someone else...and she didn't want to fell in front of her peers...she worked so hard where is at home, she wouldn't do anything....and doing Math she wouldn't remember (or so I thought) what I taught....now she is getting 82% in the Hardest Math.
Pray and ask God to show what possibly is best for him....I will be praying dear friend.
Connie
P.S. One of the other main reasons I put dd in school was so she could properly assessed...and that is when we found out about her disability.
wow...I should have done a spell check...Hared should be Hard...fell should be fail
ReplyDeleteSorry dear