What is that big scary thing that is going to eat me Mommy? I can't go any further, you will have to carry me. Mandi, my big, mean watchdog, walked up the entire road, absolutely terrified to get too close to the offending object. It was very scary, and we were lucky to come out alive....

Here is the big bad wolf, a piece of bark from a tree blown down in a wind storm. I beat it to death with a big stick and saved my poor doggy from being attacked, and quite possibly mortally wounded.

Looking in the front door. What a mess! The only thing left of the floors was the timber holding them up, and it was a pretty deep hole. It sort of creeped me out a bit actually!

This is the side of the house from the laneway. Isn't it just so sad looking? it was much too dangerous to get too close to the house from here. If I didn't have my big, brave doggy with me, I might have tried a quick peek.

The house from the front. Everything was so quiet, aside from the ravens that I could hear from the barn next door. I couldn't help wondering what happened to the family who lived here. I could just imagine their excitement when the house was built and they could finally move in. I could imagine hearing children's laughter and voices playing around the rocks and the old gardens outside. I could almost hear the mother reading stories to her children at night. I wondered what happened to the family, and where they went, and why. mMaybe they couldn't make it farming, and it just didn't make ends meet. I wished the walls could talk and tell me the stories they heard a long time ago. Maybe something happened to the father, leaving the wife to look after her children on her own, and she gave up due to the hardship and loneliness. Perhaps the well ran dry and they couldn't stay. I wish I knew. One day, will the great grandchildren come by and see the remains of the family homestead? Will any of it still be standing, or will it be a pile of rubble in the middle of the field?

I came home feeling very sad for this poor old house, abandoned and left to rot away. It made me appreciate all the blessings God has given me, and who He has given me to share them with.
What gorgeous pictures....I too absolutely love old houses like the ones you just posted...and ohhhh, if those walls could talk..
ReplyDeleteConnie
Such an interesting old house. It is very sad looking though. I wonder what stories it would have, and if there are was anything left behind. Too bad it was unsafe to go inside it. Would love to know how old it actually is!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Andrea