My swap sister and friend Carrie is hosting the Lucy Maud Montgomery reading challenge, and I thought it was high time I actually read some of her work for a change, and not just by watching interpretations of her writing through movies and TV. Although, I dearly love the Anne movies and Road to Avonlea...with exception of the third Anne of Green Gables movie where Gilbert goes to war, I have never cared for that one at all. Just my opinion, though I know of many who share it.
I am Canadian and am sad to say that I have never read Lucy's books even in school, I would think those should really be required reading for Canadian students. I vividly remember reading Margaret Atwood in high school as "required reading" and once again, my opinion.....borrrring. Incredibly so! W.O. Mitchell...not too bad actually, especially since he was on an episode of Road to Avonlea. Stephen Leacock? Nope, didn't encourage me to read more, that's for sure. So I have high hopes for Lucy!
Now I live just over 3 hours from PEI..what a beautiful place. I remember going there when I was young for summer holidays, but never did get to Green Gables. Now that we live in Nova Scotia, I am hoping to go for a trip over there sometime when the weather is better. Anne is very big here, and "Road to Avonlea" is on twice a day, every day, which is glorious!!
I am going start right off by reading "Anne of Green Gables", and I am hoping to get time to read "The Road to Yesterday", though I am wondering if I should just go in order. I guess we'll see! I tried to read the Narnia series out of order, as my cousin in England sent me a Narnia book for Christmas one year, and it totally turned me off Narnia..so perhaps I will have to start that series again too for Carrie's Narnia challenge!
I can really relate to Anne on a very personal level - she and I both have red hair. I have been called carrots more times than I can count. She and I are definitely kindred spirits!
Happy New Year, dear Ellie:-) Always a wonderful treat to "meet" another fellow Canadian!! I'm so glad that you found my blog.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely adore Lucy Maud Montgomery's books and have most of them in my collection. A couple of summers ago I went to many locations where LMM once lived here in Ontario and it was so lovely to learn more about the author herself. Of course, Anne of Green Gables is my favourite series:-) One day I would love to go to PEI to visit LMM beloved Green Gables. If I was 3 hours away from it like you are, I'd be there every month!! lol I would suggest you read the Anne of Green Gables books in order:-) xoxo
I have read 2 or 3 Anne books to my daughter. Enjoy a wonderful writer with a very poetic voice. My daughter has taken to saying..."I'm in the depths of despai."
ReplyDelete=D I'm SO glad that you are participating! I'm excited that you are going to read these Anne books in particular. I have a feeling you are really going to like them.
ReplyDeleteI had red hair - same color as yours! - when I was 0-5. When I grew up it turned into "a real handsome auburn" and only reflects its former red glory in certain sunlight. I have speckles. But it's not completely red any longer! =D
I think if I lived 3 hours away, my husband would tire quickly of where I would suggest spending our weekends. ;D ha!
Glad you are "in" on this!
Oh, you're going to LOVE the Anne books! I read my first set until they fell apart, LOL! I'm jealous that you live so near PEI...I'd LOVE to take a vacation there someday!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year Ellie....I have read every one of "Lucy's" books...read them to my girls when we were homeschooling...and watched EVERY video ever made.
ReplyDeleteLook forward to your future posts.
Luv,
Connie