Background

Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Finally the rain has stopped!



Oh my goodness, it has rained steadily here for 7 days!  Not passing showers or the odd cloud burst...I mean drenching, torrential rain! In fact, some parts of Nova Scotia have been flooded and bridges have been washed away.  Thankfully, we have been okay here, thanks to the french drains we have dug around our house and under parts of our long driveway. After such a dry, hot summer, this rain has been very welcome!  It certainly looks as if autumn is indeed here to stay, and we have seen the last of our warmish temperatures for a while.  It depresses me actually, the thought of days and days of cold, damp weather, slush, tricky driving and colds and flu really outweigh the frosty, clear sparkly sunshiney days that winter brings.  I have generalized anxiety disorder, and I find winter is really hard to endure.  But God is good and He will be my Light in the long days ahead.  I will write about life with GAD sometime.


It has been extremely windy here today, wind gusts are up to 80 km an hour.  As we are only using one van for the time being, I thought I would walk down to get the mail this morning, after the rain finally stopped.  It was cold, damp and the wind just howled through the wires and the bare trees branches.  There are no leaves in sight any longer, and the larch are losing their needles and are a dreary shade of yellow.  Funny, how can yellow be dreary?  Trust me, when in your head everything should be sky blue and vibrant green, the colour of these larch are dreary at best!  I could actually see down the road to the lighthouse in the distance, it is the first time I have seen the lighthouse in a week!  I could see that the ocean was very rough and I could see the huge waves from here.  It will soon be lobster season, and I can't even imagine going to sea in some of the little boats they go out on on days like this.


The rest of the day was spent in school work, we are starting a study of Australia, which we are looking forward to.  We had candles lit all day, as it was so dark, and it really helped to cozy up the house.  After school was finished I made a raspberry apple crisp as well as roast chicken for supper. I decided to do my dishes by candlelight tonight which I read about on Katy's blog.  It is something I have only done when we have been camping, and it was nice and really peaceful.  I do need a couple more candles for around the sink though, it was a tad on the dark side, but fun just the same.  I looked forward to doing the dishes all day for the simple reason being that I was planning on washing the dishes by candlelight!

I am currently trying to figure out what I am making for my our families for Christmas, and I need to get a move on, as I need to get them out soon.  I am trying to make as much as I can, as it is so much more personal and original, but I have gotten myself overwhelmed with ideas, so I am hoping to make some lists tomorrow and get myself more co ordinated and not so stressed.  If anyone has any good sites for handmade gifts, I would love to see them! 

2 comments:

  1. I have not been watching the news lately so missed all the "weather news"...but now you have given me the Eastern update:-) We had the worst September/October in recorded history (I think we set records)..it was brutal.

    Sounds like you have a beautiful scene from your home.

    I will check out your link for Katy's blog...I love candlelight...as a matter of fact, dh has a fire going in the fireplace and I have lanterns lit...it is so romantic and cozy.

    Wish I lived closer, I would come and do dishes with you by candle light.

    Have a great weekend...and stay dry:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be amazingly awesome if you came over to do dishes with me!! of course, we wouldn't be doing dishes, we would be gabbing and watching Road to Avonlea! It sounds like you weather has been awful - here's hoping for better weather to come and not too much snow! We are forecast to have sun until Tuesday, hurray!

    ReplyDelete