I am still no where near being unpacked!! I have been touring around with the kids. Just over a week ago we went here..



These are pictures of York Redoubt, a Canadian national park just at the entrance to Halifax harbour. It was built in the late 1700's, and has been used since to protect the harbour from invading forces. It is no longer in use in this manner, and is very run down. In fact, when we went down to the actual lookouts on the water, I thought we were in a concentration camp. It had lots of old buildings, mostly used for gang purposes now, there was lots of graffiti and other unmentionables, so we didn't stick around too long.
Then we have been here..



Aha!! Caught him in the act, checking his blackberry when he should be fishing!! We have had a blast at the beach. This week was even more interesting as they were filming an upcoming series there, called "Seawolf" based on Jack London's book. The most coincidental thing is it starts Neve Campbell, who is an actress originally from Guelph! The security guards got a kick out of that. They had a tall ship anchored near the beach and we saw a stunt man slide down the mast. It was really interesting!
Last night, while we were at Sambro harbour, where they are also filming, I found a piece of paper on the ground, and it was a casting call sheet, which I brought home, it is really interesting as well, though I don't know if I am in trouble for having it!!
We also went to Halifax harbour one day and saw very vividly where the forest fire was raging in Porter's Lake, which is the other side of Dartmouth.


There are now charges pending in this fire, as it was deliberately set. Two homes were totally destroyed, and over 5000 people were evacuated, it was a very serious fire, and really scary for people in the area who had no idea if they were going to have a home to go back to.
So I am now in the midst of clearing out brush as well as clearing up this house! For some reason, we have been finding syringes, mostly in their packaging, around the house, one was under a log. I think this is really creepy. So I am going out with the kids if they want to explore. There hasn't been much of that, as the blackflies are so bad right now.
I am also in the process of greening my cleaning supplies, as we are now on well and septic, and I don't want to mess that stuff up!! Besides which, it is better for our health as well to not have chemicals around the house.
Anyway, off to unearth the school books!! Once I get the house organized, I will post pictures. At this rate, it may take a year!!
So glad to see your post....what an exciting time for you all...wish I was there to explore with you LOL....Don't worry about finding the perfect church....there isn't one LOL....God will point you to the church HE wants you to be...where imperfect people meet to share and help each other along this journey of life...what an awsome ride it is....
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you and the rest of your family.
Connie
P.S. Keep the photos coming:-)
I'm so glad your getting settled in and enjoying the sites! I can't wait to see pics of your new place.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Kim
Oh, Ellie! I'm so happy to see that you guys are getting settled in and are enjoying your new surroundings! How exciting!
ReplyDeleteExcellent photos! Looks like you guys are going to have a blast living there!