Background

Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Canada Day

Yesterday we "celebrated" Canada Day, by really doing a whole lot of nothing! We didn't have any huge plans, but the boys wanted to go out somewhere, but not far enough away that we couldn't see the fireworks in the evening. We would have loved going for a stroll along the Halifax Waterfront, but not with the throngs of people down there with the same idea we had!  I really do not like crowds, I get tired and anxious and cranky. We thought about going to Peggy's Cove, but that would also be swarming with people, so many that I start to feel sorry for the people who actually live in the Cove, you can't even drive through there some days!  We thought we could go to "our" beach, Crystal Crescent, but it was so hot and once again....we had the crowd thing.  I much prefer going there when it is quiet and calm, early in the morning is great!  In the end, we decided to head to Terence Bay, which is one of my very favourite spots to visit.  It is not far away, and the beach is small and protected. 

By the time we got there, it was well after 3:00 PM and there was only a handful of people there.  I was pretty excited the tide was out, so I thought perhaps we might have some success with sea glass collecting, as long as the other sea glass lovers had not beaten us to it.  I was not disappointed, a found some big pieces by my chair and then this one caught my eye.  Heart shaped pieces are my very favourite!

 
We saw quite a few fish jumping, and there were also many schools of tiny long silvery fish, they looked like eels, but were an actual fish.  We decided that since no one was swimming, we would try some fishing and both Mike and Jeremy caught several large pollock.  We don't eat these, so they were released.  Devin and I did not catch any, but it was relaxing trying!  The one thing I love about ocean fishing is you can never be sure what you are going to actually catch!
 
 
 
 
 
 
We unfortunately lost a couple of lures, but they were in very deep water, with lots of seaweed, so I don't think anyone will step on them.
 
It was nice to just sit and take in the sea breeze and do nothing.  Well, I worked on writing a letter, and thought about composing a list of blog posts, but you know, I like to blog about what comes into my mind as it sort of happens. 
 
 
Chilly water!!  Okay......icy cold, feet numbing water!  But here in this bay, it is a little warmer than the open ocean.

 
Perfect day for a sail!

 
Flowers Devin picked for me!  I was also given a couple of blue flag iris growing on the beach to bring home.

 
Devin took this, he thought it was so pretty!  Sometimes the weeds are incredibly beautiful if you take the time to stop and look at them really closely.  Hmmm.. a lot like people really! You can find the most incredible things in people if you take the time to look.  Sometimes you need to get past many thorns to find the true bloom.
 
We left the beach sandy, sun drenched and covered in salt spray and tiny bits of dried seashells. That is impossible to get off!  ( Here's a hint for you...always take baby powder to the beach with you, rub it on your sandy feet and the sand will wipe off, so you don't drag it home with you!) We were all tired out by the time we got home, the sea air will do that to you.
 
We stopped for pizza on the way home and then came home to get ready to go and watch the fireworks.  We have a spot we found in the city, it is on a high hill looking over the harbour.  We weren't the only ones who knew of this place, many other people meandered by and stopped.  And we waited.  At 10:00 PM, we waited.  10:10 PM, people were getting restless.  We heard the fireworks in Bedford booming and echoing off the harbour.  And then people made a mass exodus and bee lined it out of there.
 
We saw several small displays going off, but knew we couldn't have missed the really big show.  We drove up the road and came back, and waited.  And then they started!  They were very low and very quiet, the wind I supposed played a role in this.  They were a bit of a disappointment really, compared to some years.  But the night was cool, and slightly foggy and we were out and sitting together looking over the lights of the city and harbour.  It was not a day full of parades and barbecues and games, or a lot of people over.  But it was quiet and beachy and wonderful just the same. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment