.bmp)
Well, on Sunday we had our first hurricane/tropical storm of the year. The weather forecasters warned us that this could be a very serious storm, but in the end, it really wasn't a huge deal. We thankfully did not lose power, but were prepared for that scenario. Mike waited in line for an hour on Saturday for propane, as our BBQ tank ran out.
Saturday night, the surf was very high, and as we are now experiencing spring tides, the tides were very high. We went out to catch a glimpse, but it was so dark. We parked at a lookout with about 100 other people! The sound of the waves was incredible, and you could see a line of water moving towards shore, I was a bit nervous as to what we were in for after that!! Even creepier was that it was a dead calm all afternoon, and when we went to bed, there was not a sound, not a breath of air moving.
I woke up in the morning to gale force winds and heavy rain. Church was cancelled. My sunflowers blew down , but are now happily staked up again! We went out for a drive, and I was really nervous as the storm hadn't hit yet, and I didn't want to be caught in a huge gust of wind. We drove by the lookout again, but couldn't see the ocean much due to the number of people out!
After lunch, when the sun started to reappear, we drove to Terence Bay, thinking it would be a bit more sheltered there and we could get some good sea glass. HOLY SMOKES! The waves were just huge. The ocean was an angry, seething fury! I have never seen anything like it! We stopped and took some pictures and climbed to a nearby lighthouse, a safe distance from the water.
The following are all at Terence Bay.
Afterwards, we thought we would go to Peggy's Cove. Oh my, two weeks ago we were walking all over the rocks near the lighthouse, and on Sunday, we watched waves crash OVER the lighthouse! The water came over the rocks, and over the road that morning and also washed a gift store off its foundation! We watched one very stupid individual try and get close to the water to get wet. He barely got off that rock...his girlfriend got hit with a wave and got knocked over backwards, instead of being sucked in. While we were there, 3 teenage boys got hit with a wave and washed into the ocean, which we thankfully did not see. They were VERY FORTUNATE to be rescued!
See this guy on the rocks? He is really,really lucky to be alive. These are all from Peggy's Cove.
"Hello, I'm indestructible and VERY naive to what can happen by the sheer power of the sea"....
That is not a mountain in the distance..that is a wave!
At our beach around the corner, the boardwalk washed back into a lake, and a huge boulder appeared on one of the rocks we usually walk on, who knows where it came from! The beach was covered in kelp and seaweed - not a pleasant place for a swim right now!
So, now we are waiting to see what is going to happen with Tropical Storm Danny. We are already perpared, but I know there are many who do not take this seriously. It is much better to be prepared for the worst, and be pleasantly surprised when the storm isn't as bad as forecast!
Awesome pictures!!!!! "Bill" didn't hit us too bad here in the Valley. Just some wind and rain ~ nothing really out of the ordinary.
ReplyDeleteWe got a whole lot more rain with "Danny" though! 73.6 mm of rain!!!! It started raining Saturday at lunch time, and rained all night, and then stopped in time for my kids to get baptized Sunday afternoon! The sun even made an appearance!
I would have loved to have seen the waves at Peggy's Cove!!!! That would have been awesome!!!!
~ Kim
Hi dear friend...sorry it's been so long since checking in. We had been watching the news about the hurricanes..grateful you are all fine. Great photos...actually, gorgeous photos.
ReplyDeleteHope your Fall and new school year is off to a great start.
Will check back soon. Have a great week!
Wow .. Horsefeathers, I finally found you again.
ReplyDeleteI was on vacation in Stewiake, NS, when Daniel hit the ground. He wasn't very blustery where I was, so I went for a walk with him.
I'm so glad to find your new blog.
Hello, dear friend! It's been a while. Hope all is well where you are! XO
ReplyDeleteHi Ellie:-)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for leaving such a lovely comment on my blog and shame on you for not leaving one before now! hehe I love meeting fellow Canadians:-) Oh my, what a coincidence that I should post about Erin and to find out you used to travel through there all the time! Small world indeed. My brother and his family used to live in Acton but moved to Erin 8 years ago and they love it. I've added you to my Bloglines:-) xo
OH these pics are AMAZING! I see you haven't posted in a good while... MISS YOU! (((((HUGS))))) sandi
ReplyDelete